Monday, May 23, 2011

Cheesecake and Chums

Yesterday I went to Blogger's Night Out with some other local IF bloggers. Sunny from Sunny In Seattle, Jen from Despite the Best Laid Plans, plus an anonymous blogger friend. Katie from Taking the Statistical Bullet couldn't make it, for obvious reasons, if you read her posts lately. But we managed to have fun anyway!

Our Anonymous friend is now 17 weeks pregnant through IVF (I switched clinics for this round based on her recommendations when we all last met up in January.) I'm soooo super excited for her. Which is nice. It's so nice to be happy for once that someone is pregnant. It makes me feel less like a heartless, jealous, shrew. I'm happy that I'm happy. If my BFN had turned out to REALLY be a BFN, I can't promise I'd be any happier for her than I was for my sisters, but I was still a good enough sister, while still sad and anguished for myself, to still be happy for them. The bitches.

We talked about nursing, and not bothering to read the pregnancy books (I read Belly Laughs, Pregnancy Sucks, and The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy. I looked up stuff in What to Expect, and read the assigned bits from Pregnancy Childbirth and the Newborn for my prenatal class, but despite my sister nagging me and thrusting 15,634,876 pregnancy books on me, I never read a non-humorous pregnancy book cover-to-cover during pregnancy. Oh. Well. I practically read all of Your Pregnancy Week By Week, since it was just a few pages every week, and it was kind of fun to see what the little zygote looked like as it turned into a fetus.) We talked about going back to work or not, and when did we decide. And she told us her baby names, but I'm sworn to secrecy!
We also had cheesecake! Sadly, I've had a really bad cold this past week, and pretty much no appetite. I've been eating roughly one meal a day, with some snacks (ie: daughter's leftovers/half-eaten cheese sticks.) I had TOTALLY forgotten about our night out, and ate a "large" breakfast at Shari's while waiting for my husband to get done with his visit to the Urgent Care Clinic. (He hadn't been able to hear out of one ear for two days from his version of this cold. Boo-frickin-hoo.) I had a pancake, 2 eggs (over medium. Yes, I know. Avoid "undercooked eggs." Sue me.) and 2 slices of toast. Then I managed to cram in a turtle sundae (turtle brownie with ice cream!) Hours later, at dinner with the ladies, I couldn't even manage my small hummus appetizer. And I was pushing it to eat half my slice of cheesecake. (I had them cut it in half and bring it on two plates so that the other ladies could try it without risk of catching The Plague from me.)

Tomorrow (well, technically today) I go in for my first ultrasound, to find out how many of my Maybies took. (and whether they *shudder* split. Apparently the act of IVF itself slightly increases the chances of monozygotic twinning (identical twins,) from the hormonal and ovarian stimulation. Then ICSI increases the rates again by some fraction of a percent. And Assisted Hatching doubles the microscopic chances. So, there's some (slim) chance I have more than 2 in there. On the plus side, then I could be done, done, DONE, and not want have to ever think about maybe doing IVF again!) So, based on my posting track-record, I'll probably get around to posting about it in a week or so! Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a lovely evening out!!! Can't wait to hear how the ultrasound went!

    ReplyDelete