Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Counting Chickens

Normally I'm good at keeping my expectations low, so I'm rarely disappointed. Normally I'm good at assuming something good WON'T happen, so that I don't tempt fate into ruining my plans.
But for some reason, I just can't right now. Part of me wants to start buying "Big Sister" shirts for Z. I mean, I'm just ASKING to be sucker-punched in the gut by the Powers-That-Be for that! My husband keeps trying to gently remind me that it may not work. And I know this. I mean I KNOW that IVF may not work. Especially since we don't really know what the issues are, other than a slightly lower % of ideal "swimmers" and a high fragmentation rate of the embryos (probably due to sub-par eggs, but since there's no way to test the eggs, who knows?)
We decided to sign the waiver and get started on IVF right away. Now, this wasn't a decision taken lightly. I spoke with my family practice doctor, who told me that since I had antibodies from contracting chicken pox as a child, rather than from a vaccine, that I should be fine. He also said that my chances of getting chicken pox again were so slim, and then the chances of damage to the fetus is so small (2%) after that, that he didn't see any reason not to start IVF right away. Plus Z has been vaccinated, and if I were to catch it, I'd be more likely to get it from her versus getting it from one of her friends at school or wherever. And then, the same day as my doctor's appointment, I get an email from my nurse at the IF clinic saying that the doctor herself recommended signing the waiver, giving the same reasons as my doc. Well. Great!
My period started yesterday, and now we start the ball rolling. Today or tomorrow I need to go in for labwork, then start BCP tomorrow for suppression. I'm scared. I'm terrified that this won't work. Or that I'll mess it up somehow. Last time, I had nothing to distract me from doing this. Just work and the snooze button to delay my daily shots until I remembered and got them done just a little later. But now, I can totally see myself leaving my meds at home when gallivanting off to my sister's house (I frequently forget my REGULAR daily meds when visiting my sister.) And how can I wake myself up at 7am to do shots without also waking up my little co-sleeper? I plan on using the calendar app in my iPhone to help, but the alarm is sooo hard to hear from in my pocket.
But despite my fears, I'm blissfully hopeful and borderline certain that it will all turn out okay. I'm tempting fate to come and destroy my bliss.

But I can't help myself. I'm totally counting my chickens before they're hatched.

No comments:

Post a Comment