Thursday, February 17, 2011

Drug Dealer

My medications arrived this morning. Several thousand dollars of medications. Last time, neither of us were able to be home for delivery, and I fretted all day at work that they wouldn't be on my porch when I got home. But they were. Since I didn't want to risk losing or misplacing anything, we left the box sealed until just before I was to start using them.
No one had told me that some of the medications should be refrigerated. Yet another thing that slipped through the cracks at that place. Yet another "FUCK! Does this ruin EVERYTHING?!" moment. Luckily, Folli.stim can be left out for up to 4 weeks. But still. I thoroughly resented not being given the information, so that I could have chosen to keep them refrigerated or not. I would have chosen to refrigerate them, since absolutely any effort I could make to ensure everything would be in ideal conditions, I would do. And I put them in the fridge this time, even though we have way less room in there now.
I still have butterflies in my stomach from seeing that box on my doorstep this morning, after hearing the doorbell ring. Just another sign that this is really happening. Who knew one could be so excited over prescription medications? Squeeee!
And, for more delight and glee - they were covered on my insurance. So what probably would have been around $5,000 worth of medications were only $242.49. A lot easier to stomach if something got ruined, or we stopped mid-cycle and I had to try again another time with medications.

Sadly, since I started my birth control last night for suppression, I wasn't able to fully enjoy my glee at my meds arriving. Apparently the BCP make me nauseous. They prescribed the generic Ortho.Cyclen for me this time, which I've never had. But when I was (much) younger, I had tried OrthoTri.Cyclen, and threw up every Sunday for a month before I figured it out. So I called to leave a message for my nurse, since it was 7am when I had woken with the feeling I wanted to vomit. I know that BCP and other hormones can cause nausea, but other than the Ortho product I'd had before, I've never had a problem. Since I was concerned that perhaps they both use one of the same hormone variations, maybe my issue was with the specific ingredient.
I got a call-back from the on-call nurse, telling me to take it with food. I told her that I took it with all my other medications the night before, and that I've never ever had a problem with "take with food" medications when I take them all together at night. (I take a prenatal vitamin, a biotin supplement for hair and nails, acid reflux medication, an anti-depressant (BCPs trigger depression in me,) and a allergy pill. Quite the handful.) She just said to slowly take the birth control earlier and earlier in the day, until it's with a meal. But she said she'd have my nurse call me back. Excellent. Done with you.
Then my nurse called (actually, it was the one I hadn't met yet. Two nurses job-share, but they are "my" nurses, and try to be the ones to call me back.) She said they don't normally like to switch pills this early, in case the nausea is related to something else, but she listened and took me seriously and looked up and verified that the BCP that had made me sick in the past was the same ingredient as this one, so it was likely that this was the issue, but she'd consult the doctor. I love being taken seriously. Plus she listened when I explained about my compliance issues. I have learned from past experience with pills taken multiple times per day, that I forget the daytime meds half the time. So it's just easier to take them all at bedtime, even if the acid reflux one is best taken 30 minutes before the largest meal of the day, for example. And it's not like Mommy Brain is going to help matters any!
She said they recommend taking the pill at bedtime anyway. Take THAT, on-call nurse!
Obviously, if they wanted me to stay on this one, I would, but at the seminar last night, the doctor said that the BCP wasn't really essential, if you didn't want to or couldn't take them for some reason. So it shouldn't matter which one! I told my nurse which ones I had used for suppression at the first IVF cycle, and to control my period for the polypectomy. The doctor ended up switching it to the same one I used last IVF cycle. So hopefully that goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment