Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Day Without Needles

4/14 - To celebrate getting to stop my meds, we went to Ikea to lie about Z's age so she could play in the play area. But we were thwarted by a new policy that no diapers or training pants were allowed. Nuts. So we went to the kids furniture area and played with the toys and jumped played on the beds. We had a great time, until I realized that I had totally forgotten my final antagonist shot (I had planned to do it after my appointment,) and I either hadn't listened or hadn't heard what dose of HCG I was supposed to be doing. And everyone at the office was in a company-wide meeting, and wouldn't be available until 3pm, several hours later. Ughhhhh.
When the nurse finally got back to me, she told me to go ahead and take my antagonist shot, even though it was very late, and to take the full dose of HCG. And they even let us reschedule DH's "appointment" time for the egg-retrieval on Saturday to a half-hour before mine, so that we could tag-team watching Z, since my mom was out of town, my sister who normally could have come out to watch her had a big test that morning, and my other sister and his mom were both over an hour away - not fantastic when you're supposed to be there at 8:15 AM.
That night my husband wanted to go to poker night, since there was a friend visiting from out of town. And I had a meeting with my MOMS Club. And was supposed to do the shot at 8:45pm. He's always done the IM shots, since they're a lot harder to do, both angle-wise and muscle-resistance-wise. But now I'd be on my own. I was going to have to leave my meeting early to meet a nurse in Seattle who would do the shot (for $50,) until I remembered one of the MOMS was an MA. So after checking to see if she'd be there, and be willing to do it for me (in a public restroom at Starbucks!) I cancelled the nurse.
There was a lot of giggling and clock-watching from about 8:30 on, since everyone knew what was going on. Then we trooped in, with my daughter, to the restroom. Luckily, it was a family-style restroom, with just one toilet and a sink and lots of space. She used the Koala diaper-changing station as her table, and had me lean over the sink. The nurse that morning had drawn on a "target" for me, so that part was pretty easy. And it was a lot quicker and less painful then I remember from years ago when my husband did them. But we were doing the progesterone shots back then, which got more and more painful as my muscles got stiffer and hurt more. The police who had arrived for coffee just before we went in gave us a funny look (I mean, really. Two ladies walking out of a single-person bathroom, with a very tiny minor?) but didn't hassle us. I made sure to thank her for being a pain in my heinie. :)

4/15 - Friday morning's pregnancy test was positive (and I fully enjoyed the irony of doing a pregnancy test when we all knew full well that I was not pregnant. They just had me do to to make sure that the HCG had been absorbed properly.) Ahhhh. A day without needles!

No comments:

Post a Comment